Monday, April 27, 2009

Literacy

As we have explored in this semester, the definition of literacy has expanded in my view. From the start literacy was only thought of as reading and writing, but as we have learned it can be so much more. And even including the "new" literacies which before I would never have included in this heading. I thought it was very interesting to see the different definitions that people found and posted on the wiki. This just goes to prove that it is a difficult word to put only one meaning to.
The internship for next year should be interesting. I'm mostly okay about it, but a little concerned that I don't know enough about the special education portion of it or how it will work. I need to find out a few more answers before I will be comfortable about it. I thought that it was a great idea to have this years interns come in to speak to the class. I really learned alot from them. Over all I'm excited to get into the classroom and continue my education.

1 comment:

  1. I too think having the interns come in was really helpful--I was beginning to feel overwhelmed with thoughts of the end of the semester and internship year, and I'm not sure I feel any less overwhelmed now, but at least some of my questions are answered.
    I also agree with your statement about the difficulty of defining literacy. I found it hard to even define one type of literacy for my project, let alone literacy as a whole. I think that this is not a bad thing though--it can help us to realize that literacy is a huge topic/idea/subject etc. and that there is and always will be more to learn about it.

    ReplyDelete