Monday, April 6, 2009

New Literacies Project: Cultural Literacy

I chose Cultural literacy as my focus for this project. When I first started looking up information, I wasn't coming up with a lot that seemed relevant or usable for this project. However, the more time I spent on it, the more I found.

I don't think I can actually post "my notes" in this blog, as they consist of many many pages of paper and post-it notes, but I will write about what information I've found and where I've found it.

First, I read a book with the title "Cultural Literacy" written by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. Hirsch has many good things to say about cultural literacy, but his views have been challenged by a lot of people. This book was the only real source I had for a while, so I decided to dig a little deeper.

I used the MSU Libraries website to look up "scholarly articles" about cultural literacy, and while not all the search results proved relevant, I did go away with a couple of pretty good sources. I would recommend this site if you're having a hard time finding information for your project.

Another good source I ended up using was NPR, which was really cool because I didn't think I'd find anything relevant there, but was mistaken, as I found a couple of really useful broadcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment