Sunday, April 26, 2009

Literacy: Then and Now

Over the course of this semester, the term literacy has become a much more broad concept than I used to think of it. Even after four years of college, my definition of literacy did not even begin to cover the definition I now know. But with that thought, I should say that my "new" definition of literacy is not really a straightforward dictionary type of definition, but rather a collection of ideas or multiple definitions.

I feel as though I have learned a lot during this course. I really appreciate the fact that I have been able to "broaden my horizons" of literacy, so to speak. I really was dreading the technology/new literacies project, but I have to say that I really did learn a lot by doing it. I was not only able to increase my knowledge significantly on one certain literacy (cultural), but I was also forced to deal with the scary monster of technology. I look forward to checking out the other projects as well so that I can learn more about the other new literacies.

Thinking ahead to internship year is a scary thought. But, I will say that I feel better prepared for it now than I ever have. I look forward to implementing what I have learned about literacy in my placement and I feel much more confident in being able to do so. Technology has always scared me, but I know that it is important to incorporate into my teaching, especially since so many students are using so many forms of technology on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, I agree about the "scary monster" of learning to use technology that I'm not fully comfortable with. I still had some trouble with the website thing, but at least now I'm not afraid to try and make some mistakes.
    My definition of literacy has change too. I've beenable to see things on a broader view of what literacy means.

    ReplyDelete