Tuesday, February 10, 2009

emergent literacy and technology

When I was taking the Quiz about how well I know technology. I have heard of over half the words but I could define under half of them. Sometimes when people are talking about technology I feel like they are speaking a second language. in light of this, it is interesting to think about it in terms of literacy.

In chapter four of our Tompkin's book emergent literacy is defined as gaining knowledge, and understanding of the communicative purpose of print. the only way to gain knowledge and understanding is through the hands on experience with elements of literacy such as scribbling as a way to explore writing and pretend reading as a way to explore oral language.

Some kids speak the language of technology better than they speak "school language." that is why it is important that we as teachers are able to learn their language in order for us to communicate concepts that are foundational to the the development of the child.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thought on how talk of technology can seem like you're hearing a second language. It seems like with the way these "emergent literacies" are becoming so mainstream, that we will be almost forced to use the new technologies in the classroom in order for our students to get the most out of the curriculum in ways that they can understand the best.

    This does seem like a scary thought at times, but it can also be exciting...by knowing that we will most likely have to use this stuff, we can kind of embrace the thought (and action) of learning how to use them.

    ReplyDelete