Monday, February 16, 2009

Digital Immigrant

After taking the quiz, I now know that I am definitely a "digital immigrant"--which I find a bit scary since there were only about 6 terms to define. I found the information on the website to be quite interesting, although it seems as though it was suggesting that this "Generation-D" includes all those who were born after the inception of the game Pong. I grew up with Pong and Pac-Man, and all the other Atari games as well as the original Nintendo when it came out...but I am nowhere near being a "digital native" for having done so.

Technology still scares me, mainly I suppose, because of my lack of knowledge and experience with it. I have been introduced to new technologies during my college career, but I am not completely comfortable with all of them yet. As the website noted, "digital immigrants perceive technology as something to be feared tolerated or at best harnessed to one's purpose" and I feel that this is where I best fit in.

As a future teacher I understand the importance of technology, not only for its benefits in teaching, but for the sheer knowledge that "Digital Natives perceive technology as their friend and rely on it to study, work, play, relax and communicate". The students we will be teaching will most likely be digital natives, and so I know that I need to not only get over my fear of technology, but also embrace it and learn how to work with it so that my students will be able to benefit from it as well.

Digital Natives in the Classroom: http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/articles/digitalnatives/index.htm

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your feeling about technology. though it may feel confusing it is important. It helps me relate to second langauge learners a little better. especially those who are forced to leave there county and leave the comfort of their own language and culture.

    ReplyDelete